Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Last Stop on the History Trail . . . Kirtland Ohio!

Our first stop in Kirtland was the Kirtland Temple owned by the Community of Christ. It was so interesting to see the temple, and hear their interpretation of the early history of the church, and the temple.





Unfortunately for my lack of 'Kodak moment' premonitions I missed getting the best picture of the vacation. As your sitting in the visitor center watching a movie about the history of the Community of Christ the movie concludes and the screens lifts to reveal this view of the temple. It really is a nice set up. But as the screen lifted for our view of the temple, we saw Billy's brother Jon chasing his son right in front of the temple. It was totally hilarious. Luckily I have a very vivid picture in my mind of the event. :)

From the temple we went over to the LDS owned historical Kirtland, where we visited
The saw mill

The Ashery
And the Newell K. Whitney store

The kids in the front of the restored Whitney store
Apparently when the church purchased the store several years back it was being used as a bar. They were able to find a few original artifacts including . . .


The original door the Joseph Smith walked through.

The boys in the school of the prophets
This was one of the most spiritual visits. We sat there talking and thinking about all the different miraculous things that happened in this very room. It was amazing, and very touching.

The Johnson farm was another big hit on our Kirtland tour. Mostly cause the boys got a chance to run around outside and be crazy kids!


but of course there was also some wonderful things to see, including this original table used when recording revelation received by the Prophet.

Our last stop was at the quarry for the Kirtland temple. It was amazing to look at the holes and lines in the river bed and know how hard a job this was for those early saints. Plus, once again, the kids got to play. And the mosquitoes ate us alive, so bonus!


We stayed in another hotel that night, much to the delight of our children. The next morning we bid farewell to Billy's family, and the historical portion of our trip. It was amazing, and exhausting, we were glad it was over, and can't wait to do it again!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

What an incredible trip! I almost feel like I was there with you with all of your fabulous pictures. I want to go hit all the sights someday.

Marmie said...

Great pictures and filling us in on the details - and it must have been wonderful!!! I'll do this trip one day, too. Maybe with you!

tharker said...

I wish you would have gotten a picture of Billy's brother chasing his child too...that would be hilarious!

I second the comment from the other post that you really need to enlarge and frame the one of The Sacred Grove. Beautiful!

Going Family said...

Love the pictures. I would love to take the kids there someday!

Pie said...

How fun- I love seeing all the pictures of your church history trip. The kids look like they were having a ball.