Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Installment - Historical Boston

After arriving safely to Billy's sister's house, at 1am (sorry 'bout that Meg :)), and greeting the family the next morning, our first priority was to see the wonderful sights of Boston.

We headed out with one of Billy's brothers and one of his sisters and their families, along with one sister's kids minus the sister.

We started at the famous Boston Commons, which I was told is the oldest park in the US.
Of course the kids loved it. It was a great place to play and have lunch.
After a leisurely lunch we headed out to explore.

On our way out of the park we stopped to visit the duck statues depicting the ducks from the famous Children's story Make Way For Ducklings.

We were able to get all the cousins on a duck :)

Our first stop on the Freedom Trail was the Massachusetts State House. Apparently Paul Revere had the dome plated in copper (till it turned green :)) it was later plated in Gold.

The old grave yards were really cool. This is a marker for Paul Revere's grave. The original was right next to it, but very hard to see. This is a more recent, like only a hundred years old or so.
Please don't ask me what the children were doing. We were just happy they were happy walking all over the city.These are some of the really old graves. I thought they were super cool, even if they were a little decrepit.

This is a monument to Ben Franklin's Parents. Very Cool! I think this is a statue of Samuel Adams, in front of the Market. Or at least that is what I remember. Luckily I took pictures of all the little historical signs. I'll have to go back through them all. But not now.

This is outside a historical church. I don't know which one. But it was one where many historical political meetings where held, including apparently one meeting planning the Boston Tea Party. Pretty cool.
This is outside Paul Revere's house. We loved looking around inside. We weren't supposed to take pictures.


But we did. Cause the girl in this room didn't care. And she thought it was really funny that the kids were all standing in the fire place, including Billy :). I love how you can't see his head :).

Billy's favorite part about the Paul Revere house was that the girl who didn't care that we took pictures was reading a book called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. He is very interested. I'm skeptical.

Our second to last stop was the USS Constitution, or Old Iron Sides. The line was really long so we didn't get on board, but it was still very interesting.


The kids climbing on a big anchor. This was their favorite part up to this point. I think the boys were trying to move it.
The Boston Skyline. And my crazy family. WG kept pulling me down. I don't know what was with him.

At the top of the Bunker Hill monument. Princess and WG climbed all the way to the top. Taz wasn't interested.


In front of the the Bunker Hill Monument. The end of our Historical tour, and a long two days.

We really loved seeing all the historical sites of Boston. There were a few more, but this blog is long enough already. The kids really like the things that they could relate to, like the Paul Revere stuff, cause they had read about it. It was so much fun. I hope we get to do it again.

2 comments:

Pie said...

I love all the funny faces your kids are making in the pictures! they make me laugh. What a fun vacation- I especially love the picture of all the cousins on ducklings.

P.S. I looked at my curtains again and they are just blue, so no worries. :)

Marmie said...

SO COOL!!! What a great trip!!!