Sunday, February 1, 2009

Adventures in sacrament meeting, or . . . In the mind of The Princess


no this is not what she wore to church today, but it was a cute pic.

So our Princess was struggling once again to behave in sacrament meeting. She just isn't adjusting to this new schedule. At one point she was rolling around and kicking so much that she completely pulled her hair out, and I was struggling to keep my clothes in their previously modest positions. At that point she was begging to get a drink, and go to the bathroom, so I relented, (since we were now both looking like we had just walked through a tornado) and we went to the restroom.

While there I took the opportunity to adjust my clothing and repair the damage to her hair. I sat her on the counter, where she could entertain herself by looking in the mirror, and I could see what I was doing. At this point I need to insert a little background. When Princess was born she had blue eyes and dark brown hair. Around 18 months her hair turned blond and her eyes a brownish hazel. We have tried to convince her that her eyes are brown, but she has insisted that they are still blue like WG's. We gave up quite some time ago. It was so bad in fact that when Grandma made her a life size doll for Christmas this year she made the eyes blue instead of brown, so as not to upset the little Princess. So here we are sitting in front of the bathroom mirror at church and Princess suddenly says,
"Oh! My blue eyes turned brown! How'd dey do dat?"
I explained that when you are little sometimes your eyes change color. She then asked about everyone else eyes, Taz, WG, Daddy. Then she said,
"What color your eyes Mama?" she grabbed my face in a vice like grip between her chubby little hands. "Oh, dey green. How you have green eyes mama?"
"I don't have green eyes, they're blue."
"No, dey green. Why you have green eyes?"
It was quite funny that first of all she was insisting I had green eyes, since she is only the second person to ever say I have green eyes. Second that after all this time, and all the time she spends in front of mirrors, she should suddenly notice her brown eyes.

In the time that we did spend in sacrament meeting she discovered testimony meeting for the first time. (I'm starting to wonder if she has previously spent a lot of time sleeping through life, or at least ignoring everyone else and just figuring out how mischievous she can be.)
Princess: What dey doing Mama?
MMM: bearing testimony.
Princess: I want to bear my tent-imony.
MMM: Oh? What will you say?
Princess: (looking thoughtful, and then mischievous) I will say Bee-Boo! (Bee-Boo is a silly nick-name we used to have for her.)
MMM: Bee-Boo isn't a testimony.
Princess: But it will be funny.
MMM: Testimonies aren't for being funny. If you really want to bear your testimony you can do it in your Sunbeam class today. I will tell Daddy you want to. (Daddy was subbing in her class today.)
Princess: NO! There aren't enough people in my sunbeam class. I want there to be lots of people. MMM: Well you can't get up there and say Bee-Boo. That isn't ok.
Princess: I will go say Jesus loves you. I will do it a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ll my-y-y-y-y-y-y- self!
MMM: Not today sweet-heart. We will practice at home and in Sunbeams first.
Princess: NO! I need more people.

I was trying hard not to laugh.
So now we know a lot more about Princess. She likes to be funny, she isn't shy (duh!), and she likes to entertain a crowd and be the center of attention. All wonderful qualities for a daughter to have. At least two of those are being added to the list of reasons for me to be quite apprehensive about her teen years.
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Lee said...

Are you saying she is just like her Mother? Because that is what I read. Really I did. Too cute.

AOlson said...

Look like you may have your hands full:) She is too cute.

Hubers said...

Your eyes are totally green...bright, beautiful, and sexy((:-) they may be...but green...
I think they are bluer when you wear pink.

How come boys NEVER recognize eye color? I tell you the color of most people's eye without looking at them a second time. What's with dat?!?

tharker said...

I kept thinking of that old Crystal Gayle song when I was reading this. "Don't it make my brown eyes blue" except...ya know...the other way around in Princess' case ;)

I love the little bit about the testimony. She sounds like such a fun girl!!!

Scott and Candice Moore said...

Sometimes..you just convince a kid to believe something until the figure it out for themselves. lol
Sounds like you have handful with her. Oh but what great memories she is helping to make! :)

Kelly said...

What a princess!

I have your pampered chef stuff. I tried bringing it by yesterday but you must have been gone. I'll try again tonight.

Pie said...

How funny! I never knew that about her eye-color denial. I know where she gets it from...

I thought you knew you eyes were green? :p

tharker said...

Hi Tiff! I REALLY need to talk to you! I got a VERY interesting phone call this morning from one of your students!

Shoot me an email ;)
tiffani_harker@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Tiff

(I always feel like I'm talking to myself when you and I chat ;)

Shmobby said...

Hah this totally made me laugh! What a little nutter. I thought at the end you were going to say you suddenly realized where she got her denial from! :)

And I think you may have guessed it right...she hasn't been asleep...just being as mischievous as possible for the first three years of her busy life.

So when the teen years show up..we'll be consulting often, RIGHT?

Marmie said...

Whoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa Baby! Just keep princess pointed in the right direction because she'll take everyone with her! She'll be in my prayers if I can keep from laughing. They do say that grandchildren are parents' revenge. I declare - they may be right! :) :) :) Go Princess!