Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Primary Program

We always love the Primary Program. It is an experience. It started out alright. They kids got up there ok, without too much trouble. They found their seats. The leaders where in place.

Taz's class was sitting on some of those really old bleachers in front of the podium. One member of the Presidency was seated directly in front of them to keep them in line. She tried multiply times to get Taz to stand where he was supposed to stand while singing. To not bob up and down behind the other kids. To not dance around on the top bleacher when they are supposed to be standing on the second one down while singing. To not crawl around when they were supposed to be sitting.

Yeah, you know what happened. I couldn't take it. I walked out of one side of the chapel and back in the other to sit in the emptied benches (previously occupied by the deacons), right in front of Taz. He did considerably better, but still left much to be desired. There was one point when I had to rush up and grab him from catapulting himself over the banister the bleachers were set in front of. Seriously!

A friend commented later that he was really enjoying the program until I interfered. Too Bad!


The only thing that could have made Taz's out of control behavior stand out more was the performance of his older brother. The thing is just that this is exactly the type of scenario which showcases Taz's weakness and WG's strength.

WG was asked to sing a solo in the primary program. He sand the first verse of "I hope they call me on a Mission". It was slightly out of tune, and not quite on beat, but oh so sweet and touching. Several people have told me it was their favorite part of the program. He is such a great kid and I was so proud of him. The funniest part was afterwards I asked how he felt. He said "Well I was a little nervous, but I just sucked it up and got over it real fast and then I was fine". Such a funny guy!


I was proud of both my boys, and I love them both - the clown and the middle-aged pleaser :).

2 comments:

Hubers said...

This is hilarious! I can see your face right now!

Marmie said...

I've got to read this to my presidency when we meet this morning - remember that I am the Grandma in the group - and they may not understand it - and hope it doesn't happen in ours - but it must have been hilarious for the chapel with Taz - but I am sure WG was very touching and reminding all of us what it's all about and so worth it. Love their pictures looking like little missionaries in front of the Spokane Temple!