So I read Breaking Dawn. Can I leave it at that? No I can not! But I know there are some of you out there who haven't finished it yet so I won't share any spoilers. However, I will say I am disappointed. I haven't been a fan of Stephenie Meyer from the start but I love books and I love fantasy so I was sucked in despite my better judgement.
Slightly wary of Bella's obsession with their physical relationship (or lack there of) from the first couple of books, I was concerned about where Stephenie would go in this last book where we all knew a wedding was eminent. Well, it wasn't as bad as it could have been but it was more than what I would be comfortable with my 16 year old daughter reading (if my daughter was 16).
This isn't the type of story I'm used to reading so I guess the whole over the top romance thing kind of caught me off guard. In hind sight I could have been more prepared. I have no desire or intention of ever reading another one of Stephenie Meyer's books. I suppose I was expecting that someone who is so open about being active LDS and a BYU grad would have done a better job at upholding her standards and being an example of who we are. I was simply disappointed in the lack of propriety she chose to use when dealing with sensitive issues although it certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Now I'm face with a dilemma; what to say to the young women in my ward who I am obligated to and feel a great responsibility to set a good example for. I even took four of my girls to get the book at Wal-Mart Friday night. Two of them happen to be the bishop's daughters. I do not feel comfortable about this. At this point I feel it is my responsibility to let them know that I was disappointed in the books and would not normally read this sort of thing and that I hope they can find more uplifting material to enjoy in the future. I know we all have these sort of experiences from time to time but I feel an even greater weight given my current position with the young women. I suppose this is what I get from venturing into modern romance novels. Better just stay out from now on.
I feel I should go back and add that I did enjoy these books. I was just overwhelmed by my concern for the young women in my life who would also be reading them. While it isn't the type of thing I normally read, and I don't plan to read anything like it again, I did enjoy them; especially the plot in this last book. The components to the story were great and she is a good writer, I just felt some things were unnecessary and could have been left out.
10 years ago


8 comments:
I am glad to see you're back!! Sorry 'bout your crappy book. I have no intention on reading it either. Better luck with the next set.
Maybe you should try math books:-p"
Will anyone of significance in my life think I put you up to this critique and opinion?? Nevertheless - I agree completely - and have not ventured into the books - though have wondered if I dare sneak off to the library maybe, after school starts? You have helped me with my integrity. I will not read them. Thank you. I have been in the position of a decision I had reason to regret later. Not pleasant, but a lesson learned when it happens. Love you!
I have to agree with you on the romance level. And with her being laxed on the standards. I was surprised by some of the things in her books. She did not get too specific in detail's but it was enough to let the imagination run wild. But I do see the comparison with her books with today's youth and the temptations they have to deal with and the choices they make in relationships. It is a very real thing, and she captured Edward's and Bella's desires for each other very well. Maybe that is why it is such a big hit, because people relate to it in certain aspects. At least they waited for the wedding even if it was hard for them. Okay so maybe I am not making any sense in what I am trying to say. But I understand your concern. I have to admit I did enjoy the books, the plot and I think she is a very good writer.
I felt the same way! I thought a lot about my sister-in-law and older nieces while I was reading and was sure hoping they wouldn't read the books. Although they were hard to put down, I too was disappointed. I haven't read the fourth one.
So I know you hate it when I read your blog and don't leave a comment, so here I am making an appearance at last, after mulling this over. And my grand comment is... "No Comment." I feel that you and I hashed this out enough already, and even though I feel there is nothing wrong with the first three books, I am uncomfortable with the target audience of teenage girls reading the last one,even though I didn't feel inappropriate myself reading it. I know this makes sense to you because of the aforementioned hashing.
So apparently this is me not leaving a comment, I'm good at it, aren't I? :)
I dunno, I think it wasn't anything to worry about. sure, there more emotions than you would read about in harry potter, but nuthin to worry yourself over. after how Lee describe it to me, I was worried I'de be reading about crazy vamp nooky, but it wasn't like that at all. it was a love story, and it didn't touch biology class. be happy!
After having let my neice borrow my copy of Twilight I know exactly how you are feeling right now.
I have to say I have not even been able to finish Breaking Dawn. There are parts that are just gross to me
Randy, that sooooo does not surprise me! Gosh I almost miss you sometimes ;)
Post a Comment