Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mourn with those that mourn.

The tribute . . .
Enjoy it, soak it all in, cause this is all that is left . . .




Can you tell what is wrong with it? Some times pictures, especially mine don't do things justice. So let me clarify, those light spots are HOLES! Yep, HOLES!!!!! Perhaps you ought to blow it up so you can see them better.

A little background I think. First of all this is the most adorable Carter's dress I've ever seen. Made only that much more wonderful because I found it on sale at Kohl's for $8! It was a steal!

Just this afternoon Princess wore it to a t-ball game and was heartily complimented on it. This evening I was caught up in doing the things I needed to get done in the only hour we had between t-ball and dinner. My dear little sweet heart who has recently learned to open doors got into the pantry (which I had at one point put a safety handle on, what happened to it?) and subsequently the craft box; and yes took a wayward pair of scissors to this beautiful, this favorite of all her beautiful dresses. Why? Why oh why do they do these things?

I did not cry.

I didn't actually do anything except clean up the mess quietly. She began to cry. I pulled off her dress and she cried harder. I put the dress in the trash (I pulled it out later for the memorable picture). She wailed! I was simply trying to control my temper and extreme sadness at loosing such a precious little dress, remember the child is more important than the dress.

I unintentionally gave her the harshest punishment I believe that I could have. The poor thing followed me around the rest of the evening sobbing, trying to hold me and apologize. Having rarely felt it, I don't believe she could handle my true disappointment in her. I suppose that is a good thing.

I am so sad at the loss of the dress, but at least I didn't harm the precious little girl. Heres to will power and self control.

8 comments:

crack'n up ourselves said...

What a bummer. she looked so cute in that dress.

Lee said...

Oh how sad. My kids have yet to do something like that. And way to go!

tharker said...

That is so sad. The dress was adorable. When Hannah was in Kindergarten, I pulled one of her sweaters out of closet one day to find a small triangular size cut in the bottom of it. I was so sad because this was her cutest sweater. Why do kids do stuff like that?

Hubers said...

Look at that self-control. I felt it in the message. My brother cut my gymnastics shirt up like that when he was 5...I don't remember what he looks like. JK.
Why do little kids do things like that? "Oh, this looks cool...let's cut it!" Yeah. I wonder what it's like in their little heads sometimes.

Belnap Family said...

I almost cried with you when you told what had just happened. I also happened to see how sad she was following you around trying to get your affection. Good self control woman. I would have screamed and lost it!!! I guess that's why we only spend under $10 on clothes for the kids...they are just material objects and don't mean that much in the long run. But don't expect the same nice response if one of Lucy's dresses gets ruined!!! Aaahhhh!!

Pie said...

Tragic! You tell me about that cute dress all the time, I bet it took effort not to cry. I am impressed with your willpower, princess is more important than the dress, glad you remembered it in that moment! Remember when Valbo cut up her cutest little pink dress? Why do they do these things, and why is it always the favorite cutest article of clothing?

I don't think I ever cut up any clothes, but I did cut all the hair off one of your barbies. I would feel bad about this, except someone's puppy they got for christmas ate my favorite new disney world shirt while I was wearing it :)

Anyways, I am mourning with you over the loss of this cutest of all cute pink dresses, maybe she learned her lesson.

Marmie said...

What a heartfelt tragedy!!! I so remember when Andrea cut off your natural ringlets - one off each side - on a Sunday morning!!! Scissors were never found down ever again! But q-tips were. Remember? Every child has their day. It makes many for the mom. :)

Marmie said...

Would you consider renaming your blog? :)