Thursday, May 15, 2008

I Do It SELF!!!!

So our little Princess has a new favorite phrase. "I Do It SELF!" It used to just be "I do it!" But we have advanced to "I do it SELF!" Along with the increased Independence we have increased the things which she wants to be independent about and this includes cooking! So far she has made scrambled eggs and macaroni and cheese. She really is a good little cook and only burned her little hand twice but not even bad enough to leave a mark so she is already better than her mother.
At least we know there are some good things coming from this extreme Independence, I won't have to cook at all in another year or two :). And really if I can step away from the screeching (when she thinks I am going to do it for her) it really is fun to see her doing all these big things on her own.



So here is the mac and cheese experience. I put the water in the pan, she added the noodles. Stirring is her favorite part.
I drained the water, much to the Princess' dismay, but seriously she can't strain steaming noodles in boiling water!
She added the butter and cheese, and again enjoyed the stirring.
Once again, "I Do It SELF!" so despite the screaming protests I poured the milk first into the cup so she could add it to the noodles with out creating a disaster.
She was doing so good with the stirring but it was still a little clumpy so I had to assist and that went over horribly, but look isn't it all pretty and one color now.
Isn't she so good at dishing up. :)
The finished product. She was so proud but once I was trying to take the picture she was more worried about which bowl was hers.
As crazy as this experience was I really do enjoy the fact that she believes she can do anything and just does it. I love that she is a strong little woman, who will make a great impact on the world someday and be a wonderful Mother. And I will enjoy watching every moment of that development, as long as I have a good set of ear plugs.

11 comments:

tharker said...

Great job Princess! That is adorable.

Kelly said...

That is a great idea. I want to teach my girl to cook so I never have to again! And Princess even looked great doing it. I love that purple dress!

Lee said...

You are a good MOm letting her do that. Too cute. ANd I can totally see her doing that.

AOlson said...

So darn CUTE!! What a big girl. They grow up so fast don't they!!

crack'n up ourselves said...

You'll appreciate her independence sooner or later. Especially when you don't have to get her food for her anymore.

::lindsay said...

So cute! I love that you let her make things. I need to follow your example and let my kids help more often.

By the way, if you would like to contribute to the recipe blog, I'll need to get your email address.

Marmie said...

I love kids that love to cook!!! Mac n Cheese is a good place to start! That Princess A is so cute - I'd say lovable - but that is if she's in a good mood and spent some time with the person wanting to love her! :) And maybe bribed her with some fudge!

Scott and Candice Moore said...

She is just darling! That is great that you have the patience to let her help you.I try and let my boys help me sometimes. But it is soo Crazy when they do. Making meals it to difficult with Ben and Quade..but they love to help make cookies. I need to follow your example and try other things. Or maybe not ;)

Jan said...

Sorry. I lurked over here. I think that your little girl is adorable. When she is pouring that liquid into the pan, that could melt anyone right then and there. So cute. And your teaching her some skills too.

Pie said...

She is the most well dressed chef I have ever seen- she is just too cute cooking her little meal and looking like Shirley Temple at the same time.

Shmobby said...

Love that you guys have reached that place. Call me anytime you can't hear that phrase ONE MORE TIME!!!

Seriously, agreeing with Britt. Best dressed chef ever! And I think I figured out that hair question thing. It's because her bangs aren't curly...it totally looks like you curled it! At least in that pic.

Kudos for all your patience in letting her make lunch, seriously!