Monday, April 21, 2008

Tell me this isn't my daughters new reality

I saw this link on the MSN home page today. I wanted to hurl, cry, cringe and storm into plastic surgery centers all over the country screaming about self esteem and developing self perspective. Not to exclude the deluded writers and publishing companies that would print this lethal load of trash, and who market it to our warped and misdirected counterparts. Who apparently believe the best way to help their children deal with their surgical self-mutilation is to convince them they are better and more lovable after surgery. Do I even have to start on the dramatic implications of this "children's" book.



I believe there was a time when people who chose this path to spiritual disability attempted to keep it a secret from most people or at least their children. Now apparently our society is so self absorbed, misdirected, and destructive that we no longer feel it necessary to protect our children or others from our poor choices, not even for simple shames sake.
I do have to say that as a mother I can certainly understand the temptation to at the very least put our bodies back to their pre-pregnancy state. However, I have to ask the question, would we even have this desire if we hadn't been brought up in a world that misappropriated the importance of perfect figures and warps our view of beauty it's self. Causing us to chase after perfection which by it's very nature is unattainable in this life, therefore solidifying our guarantee for unhappiness.
As women of the world I can see how there wouldn't be much to prevent them from wanting to 'correct' their body in this way. But can't even they comprehend the irreparable damage done to young children especially girls who are brought up to believe they aren't good enough by themselves, they must be corrected. Brought up to believe that God hasn't given you enough and is not a good enough designer of the human figure in order for us to find beauty in all life. We must pinch, tuck, deform, and mutilate what he has given us to fit a narrow and ridged stereotype which the world insists we conform to or else we are worthless. Is this truly the world and perspective we want to bring our children up in and with? It truly saddens and sickens me. I couldn't help but rant.

10 comments:

Scott and Candice Moore said...

AMEN!!! You said it all!!

Shmobby said...

Seriously. I agree with Candice. Don't have anything to add. That's just crazy and inappropriate.

tharker said...

I love that you called it a path to spiritual disability. That describes it all so perfectly!

This post was wonderful!!!

Kelly said...

I wish I could read the caption with the picture of the mom's nose...It is definitely messed up! PS Your invite is on the way...it wouldn't be a party without you there!

AOlson said...

I second and third that!! Way to go Tiffany!!

Pie said...

Wow that is really messed up. I hate it when pc people put their agendas into children's books- promoting the corruption in the innocent. I hope you never run across 'Heather Has Two Mommies', you may have an anurism.

crack'n up ourselves said...

Well, we all wish we were perfect don't we? I once heard someone say that in the afterlife it won't be our looks that make us attractive, it will be our righteousness that makes us beautiful.

Perkins said...

You are so right girl. I am going to count on the looks of righteousness.

Hubers said...

Baby, you already look righteous!(In the 80's way)

Lee said...

Seriously AMEN. I am right there with you.