So this last week we were visiting family for Easter. After spending a family day at Riverfront park we took Billy to the airport so he could get back to work. The next day the kids and I headed to visit friends we haven't seen in a while and won't see for quite sometime. We were supposed to drive home Friday. Thursday we got up and after realizing there was a big storm headed our way starting Friday and would continue indefinitely I had to seriously consider leaving that day. A day early was a big deal because we had yet to see many people we wanted to see and go to many places we had wanted to go.
At first I was just feeling disappointed about having to leave early and was trying to find any logical alternative than leaving early. Plus it wasn't likely we would leave before noon and there is just some thing in my mind that can't contemplate long drives starting after 8am. But I went to organize our things just in case we did have to leave that day. So I prayed and asked for my mind to be open to what I need to do. I felt good about leaving. I was sad but I felt calm and talked myself into it.
I should add for those of you who don't know that Billy and I had a really bad accident a few years ago on icy roads. I had felt bad about going that day but there was no reason the roads should be bad so we went anyway. Ever since we have both been very cautious when traveling. And I promised myself that if I ever felt nervous about going we just wouldn't go. After praying I knew we should leave that day, so we did.
We left at 1pm because the first pass is only an hour and half away and it had gotten a little snow that evening. The drive was perfect. There was a very small two minute blip of fog and hail but it was patchy at best.
We got home at 9:45pm and it was probably the best drive I've ever had. All day Friday I kept checking the weather and the high way web cams and the roads were terrible. I felt so many times that day how blessed we were and how grateful I was that I was listening and in tune enough to the spirit to know that we should go home when we did.
It is funny how little things under the right circumstances can be such faith promoting experiences.
10 years ago


4 comments:
So glad you guys were safe on the drive. I will never forget the phone call when you got in that accident. And the huge group hug in the kitchen when you got back to mom and dad's. I'm grateful for the Spirit...and for your ability to hear him.
We missed you guys on Easter! But big plans this summer...
PS - I loved the blue and green church bench post. What a crazy day! You crack me up..."Other than all that...it was a great day!" :) Way to be positive Bugs. ;)
Thank you for sharing this Tiff. I am so happy that you were in tune enough to listen and follow this prompting. Glad you are all safe and sound.
It's nice to have reminders sometimes that Heavenly Father loves us, even if we have to come in early from playing;-)
I cannot even begin to tell you how thankful I am that you listened to the promptings of the spirit, and LeeAnn's weather studies that day! I was so worried, and so glad when I called to tell you about the coming storms that you had just left! Summer is right - its very humbling when we are blessed, even when we have come in early from play!
Post a Comment