Friday, December 14, 2007

The Wee Grandpa

So I mentioned a couple of posts back that we had titled our oldest son "Wee Grandpa" for the purpose of this blog. Before I explain why we call him this for those of you who, not knowing him intimately, may not pick up on this right away I must first tell a little story about where the name orriginated.

My husband had a dear friend through out highschool and college who when he was little his parents called the Wee Grandpa. If I have the story straight this was because when he was little and they lived in Ireland he was a bit of a bossy know-it-all. As a very small child he would correct, direct, and instruct everyone around him. One day they met a man who, observing this rather remakable phenomenon in such a little person asked, "What's with the Wee Grandpa?" and the name stuck because it was soooooo fitting.

Well we have quite the 'Wee Granpa' on our hands only I believe he takes it one step farther. He has a great desire to explain EVERYTHING to EVERYONE. He believes that inorder for life to run well everything must be just so, also if he doesn't explain just how things are supposed to be the rest of us just might not know and mess everything up. So this is our Wee Grandpa.

A window into the soul of the Wee Grandpa
Last week my brother was visiting us and at breakfast the Wee Grandpa explains that he knows who he is going to marry. Everyone was surprised except myself. Being the mother I have been hearing little stories about this person who he is going to marry for quite sometime. Yesturday he came home from school and when I asked how his day went he said it didn't go very well because of the bus ride home. I have learned that the interaction that go on between children on a bus can make or break a day. He started by asking me if I remembered that he knew who he was going to marry and then informed me that his bad bus ride had to do with her. I could feel my heart aching for him already. Knowing as I do my blunt little boy with absolutely no inhabitions when it comes to saythings and telling people things I had a pretty good idea what happened before he said anymore. Now, due to the fact that I promised my dear WG that I wouldn't tell a soul what he told me and that he could always come to me and know that I would keep his confidences I am bound to not repeat what I heard that day on the life of all furture confidences and bonds which will blosom between me and my dear WG. But I can say that after he was finished I informed him that sometimes people just don't think the same way as you at the same time. Also we had a lengthy discussion about not needing to know who you are going to marry in Kindergarten. You have years and years to figure these things out and you will meet many many other girls whom you will like to figure them out with over the years. Understanding his desire to be grown up today (or the belief that he is actually already there) I tried my best to help him understand there was time to make these decisions.

How I love my dear WG, what joy and delight and entertainment he brings into our lives. I look forward to many more thought provoking and entertaining discussions as the years go by :).

4 comments:

Shmobby said...

Looove that you turned the story into a post...and kept your promise to the little adult about his confidences. So serious - I cannot stop laughing that he honestly was shocked that he doesn't need to know WHO just YET.

I THOUGHT I knew why he was the Wee Grandpa, just because of all his endearing personality traits. But that story is great! He is so hysterical - and he has no idea why we laugh so.

I'll keep my ears open next year for the bus ride soap operas.

Can't wait to observe more WG antics over Christmas! :)

tharker said...

You are SUCH a good mom Tiff.

hatch said...

I the Wee Grandpa! I am so glad you are blogging. This will be a fun way to keep in touch! I really enjoyed the Christmas letter from the Wee Grandpa's perspective!

Lee said...

ROFL. He is a crack up. I want to know MORE of this story. I will be calling you.