That's right, you thought he was crazy before. Well he just had to show us in a brand new way what a crazy nut he can be.
Last night we had a crazy wind storm, even for our area.
The BBQ blew over before we went to bed and the house was creaking like an old rocking chair all night. It was great!
The kids were all very concerned since this is the first crazy windstorm they have experienced in quite some time. Back in Idaho we had crazy wind as well, but it was more of a constant 30-50 miles per hour. Around here the wind is more of a changing seasons thing. Last night the news towers recorded winds up to 80 miles per hour. So you know, a BIT faster.
Bed time was a little more difficult than usual. Taz and Princess wanted to rescue the BBQ but Will insisted it was better where it was. After some more whining on their part, and insistence on our part we all settled into a restless nights sleep (thanks to the wind and The Squish and also Taz).
In the morning we woke up to this
The local news sported these lovely images of the aftermath


Also I learned why each city bothers to own a snow plow (since they don't actually plow the snow, but just wait for it to melt allowing the whole area a vacation if we ever get any that sticks). I actually saw plows at work here for the first time ever. They were moving tumble weeds! Yep! Welcome to the Wild West as my brother would say. Our main neighborhood entry was blocked by a tumbleweed mountain range nearly two stories high. It was quite impressive.
Wish I had a picture of that!
Now we just have to figure out how to get rid of the lovely pile of tumbleweeds we have accumulated in our yard. Also pray they neighbors do their part before we have another wind storm. It's all good times.
But what, you may be asking, does this have to do with dear sweet crazy Taz?
Well, I'll tell you.
As I mentioned he was VERY concerned about the BBQ and not at all inclined to go to bed as we asked.
Sometime after Squish's midnight feeding (which turned out to be 1AM) I was awoken by a hysterical Taz crying at my bedside. Well technically it was Will's side, which was more than fine with me. After a muffled conversation they left and some time later Will joined me back in bed.
What could possibly be the problem? He can't sleep because of the wind? The Princess woke him up?
No!
He, being so concerned about the BBQ, had taken it upon himself to rescue it at 1 AM! Apparently he had succeeded in bringing in the kids picnic table and the outdoor mat, but was unable to lug the heavy BBQ in through the sliding back door on his own. He was crying because he was cold, and scared from being out in the wind that was nearly successfully blowing his barely 40 lb self over the back fence, and he wanted his dad's help in rescuing the poor BBQ, which was now in the middle of the back yard.
You have got to be kidding?! Right?
Nope. Not kidding.
Good thing he didn't go out the front since that door allows you to open it with out unlocking, causing us to often lock ourselves out!
I was FREAKED OUT!!!!!!! I didn't sleep the whole rest of the night! I kept going in and checking on him. I did stop short of waking him back up to lecture him right there.
However, I did take the opportunity in the morning to share the story of the little girl in Oregon who wandered out of her house in the middle of the night a few years ago, and was found frozen to death on her front step by her parents the next morning. After which I explained, that is why I put child handles on the inside of toddler's bed room doors, virtually locking them in. Because there will be no wondering outside at night, and in any emergency (such as a fire) the place a want a frightened toddler is exactly where I can find them. (I've been given many a hard time about this in the past and I have to say I honestly could care less if someone disagrees with me here. Just in case anyone was wondering :) ) And if he needed to be locked in his room at night to make sure he never went outside during the night again, I was perfectly fine with that, given the alternative is possible death.
He agreed that was reasonable and we would never have this problem again. :)
I love it went logic prevails :)
So for so many reasons, and in so many ways, I am EXHAUSTED!
Goodnight


5 comments:
that's classic...I'm loving it. That is some pretty intense tumbleweed-ness. I always hate it when we're driving in really windy weather and the tumbleweeds are making their way across the road in front of your car that is going 50+ miles per hour. They can do some damage. Glad Taz didn't freeze to death or get blown away. Our doors are the same way and I have locked myself out multiple times. grr.
Crazy kid, that is so freaky!!! If you ever need a less graphic version of the story to scare them straight: there once was a little girl who wandered outside on Christmas Eve to see Santa and got stuck outside in the snow... she didn't die but she had to spend two weeks in the hospital, so her Christmas was two weeks late. I saw it on TV years ago, so it must be true.
Thanks to you (or Taz maybe)my kids will be locked in their rooms at night. :)
Holy cow! I didn't realize you were homeschooling now! I'm glad you are liking it.
glad Taz is okay:) beautiful baby boy!
Oh Annalee, can I just tell you how much Caleb and I both miss you. As a friend and a violin teacher. You're awesome!
Can NOT believe that little man! Or maybe I can. The part I really can't get over is that he was still around to come crying. Amazing he didn't get his little self blown all the way to Spokane! Sooo glad he's okay...and even more glad the logic worked and he doesn't plan on doing that again. What a crazy night!!!
ps - can't WAIT to see you guys tomorrow!!! Let the crazy holidays BEGIN!! :)
Post a Comment