Yeah so Taz had strep just two weeks ago. I of course made him an appointment and took him in. I explained to the doctor his symptoms and that I thought it highly likely he had step, because I don't just bring my kids in for no reason. He proceeded to tell me that it was likely he didn't have strep since he had seen several patients that day who didn't have it but thought they did.
Really?
How does that possibly effect my child's chances of having strep?
He also said this in a very condescending tone that let me know all to clearly that he thought I needed to not make guesses and let him tell me what was wrong. Well of course I want him to tell me, so I can get the stinking anti-biotic. Why else would I be here? But if I wasn't going to make my own guesses then I would either a) come running in here for every little thing, in which case I would bankrupt my family and turn myself into a nuisance to the doctors office, or b) I wouldn't bring my kids in at all and they would all have died from complication from scarlet fever long ago (except Taz who wouldn't have made it past five days of birth).
Why? Why do doctors do this to us? Do they want us to be ignorant stupid uneducated patients? I kind of doubt it, but then if we show the slightest inclination towards acquired knowledge of our own they suddenly become bent on proving just how stupid and ignorant we must be. Which I might point out only proves how stupid they are.
He did however condescend to the step culture anyway, which came back SURPRISINGLY positive. I was Shocked! No not really, not at all.
So this Saturday Princess started acting a little ill. I eventually talked myself into taking her to the doctor. I'm sure you can imagine the first thing I heard when I admitted my suspicious of strep throat.
"Well, children under three rarely get strep but her throat does look rather suspicious so lets go ahead and do the culture."
Suspicious?
That naughty little throat is playing games with us. It is just pretending to have step even though it knows it isn't old enough yet. It is just masking every last little symptom of strep and even lying on the culture because it wants to have strep even though it isn't allowed for another three weeks.
The doctor was shocked to hear that her own office had diagnosed this same little Princess with strep throat just nine months ago, which was WELL before she was three.
But to be fair I could handle this assessment. You want me to know it is unlikely, fine. So long as you are willing to run the culture anyway without giving me any grief, which she did.
Needless to say we are in search of a new office, one who I can only hope will stop feeling it is their job to teach me just how much I don't know, cause I HATE those kind of doctors. I don't think I know more than them, I don't have that problem. Just don't treat me like I'm stupid!
10 years ago


3 comments:
Kick it to 'em tiffy style!
Ahh, doctors. I have such a love/hate relationship with them.
A friend of mine took her 20 month old in last week because she suspected Strep. She was told that kids under 2 do not get Strep. And she was like, "So, in 4 months, his body is magically going to realize that it is now 2 years old, and thus can contract Strep?" Please. The doctor refused to do even a swab on her poor little guys throat. Meanwhile, all weekend long, the poor kid would point to his mouth and say, "Big Boo-Boo" every time he swallowed something. After the weekend, she took him back in and got him the medicine he needed.
After hearing this story from her, I told her that I had a similar experience when Jake was UNDER 2. The doctor refused to swab his throat and I insisted. Finally, he very grudgingly said he would do the test, but it was definitely going to come back negative. Well, guess what? It came back POSITIVE! Wow. What a shocker. Both of his siblings had Strep the preceding week. Kids under 2 don't get Strep....RIGHT!
Doctors....
Never use a Dr. that thinks they know everything because remember - they're just practicing.
Post a Comment