Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Girls Camp (or so we called it)

So while girls camp was being planned this year all the leaders were mourning the lack of tent use. The day we were leaving we woke up to snow on our roofs and lawns and were rejoicing in the brilliance of sleeping in a lodge. With that being said this was probably the most un-girls-camp like experience I have ever had, but it was great and no one died of exposure so I'm not complaining.

So here are some pics of the day we left. Despite the cold and the wind everyone was still excited to go.
Here are a couple of my Laurel's


This is almost everyone, note how cold we all look.

This picture I put on here just so we could all appreciate the magnitude of the weather we were facing. Doesn't it look like fun.

The wood craft.
I was very impressed with how talented and creative our girls are. I deemed them all ready for Relief Society.

One of our priesthood brotheren got really into the craft as well painting bright pink blocks for his daughter, RIGHT!!!!
The next set of pics are of the skits. So apparently we did do some girls campish type things. We had a wood craft. We did skits. The leaders made ridiculous fools of themselves. So it wasn't a total loss.
The Beehives Present:
I'm in love with a McDonald's girl
(or something, it was utter silliness nothing more, nothing less)

The Miamaids Present:
Ugly Snow White
Guest Starring Darth Vador

The Laurels Present:
A Medley: Shrek/Elmo and Zoe's version of Cinderella/ The Gangster in the Hood
with a marauding villain and a Happily Ever After Ending.

Cast from left to right:
The Princess, The Fairy, The Marauding Villain, The Prince, The Gangster, The Hula girl, The Narrator

The Leaders Present:
Pride and Prejudice - In the Hood
(with really bad costumes, I was so blessed as to be cast as Lidia, Sweet!)
The hike was an unqualified disaster! We started out in the rain. We swore to the girls we would go anyway, rain or shine, or wind, or mud, or snow? Nope not Snow! As soon as the rain that had already soaked us all to the bone (despite our multi-layered pants, ski coats, and ponchos) turned to snow we called it a day and turned around. We were one mile into our eight mile hike, which gave us a grand total of two miles. But we were all soaked and muddy up to our knees at least so I'd say we accomplished the main purpose of hiking.

When we got back from the hike we had a few hours to kill; given we had only taken one hour instead of the estimated five. So the girls entertained themselves and us by playing various cup games, hand games, and acting silly games. It really was impressive and a lot of fun.

The Prank!
Another Girls camp requirement achieved, we were pranked by our YCL's we can now consider all things covered and may pack up and go home!

The culprits, how innocent they look.

These are the real angels. One night we stumbled upon most of our behives and miamaids reading their scriptures before bed. These really are wonderful girls!
Friday was our most un-girls-campish day. We went boating and some of us even wake boarded. It warmed up from freezing to chilly so we decided to brave the water after all decked in all our warmest camping gear.

So HOT!!!
These are the smokin' dry suits we got to wear. Don't I look gorgeous?! Despite how flattering these contraptious are we were so grateful to be boating with seasoned Idahoans who never go out on water with out of few of these beauties.

Me, attempting to board on these really ruff waters. I couldn't lift my arms for hours and they ached for days. I don't recommend boarding in this weather, ever!

One of my not so adventurous Laurels learning for the first time, I was so proud.

Our Priesthood and boat provider showing us how it's done. The thing is he does not get out unless the water is very close to glass. I so wish the wind had stopped before I got out there.
So that was our girls camp this year. I didn't have pictures of the rousing game of capture the flag we played at the hot springs pool or the out to pizza dinner night. Like I said not so very girls campish. But this post is to long already so I will cut it off here and perhaps blog about the delicate nature of playing a VERY PHYSICAL water game with priesthood brotheren who are neither your husband nor any kind of relation. Yeah, just think on that one.
I love girls camp!

10 comments:

tharker said...

Looks like fun! Other than that nasty weather...yuck! But I do love Girls Camp. Our Stake is having theirs right at this very moment, and I'm a little sad that I'm not there. Oh well.

Was your camp just held on a ward level?

Belnap Family said...

I'm glad you guys had fun despite the terrible Idaho weather! Yah, it doesn't sound like you "roughed it" very much, but oh well. LOVE the wetsuit picture, I'm glad you put it on here!

Pie said...

yes, very girlie, not very campy. It sounds like an extended retreat. Not just any retreat mind you, a phenomenal sister curtis retreat. awesome.

I agree that you did accomplish the main point of hiking- you are hilarious!

What fun- and your girls do sound awesome! At least you were prepared with a lodge for the awful weather.

crack'n up ourselves said...

Love the picture of the wet suit!

Kelly said...

Sign me up for girls camp! I am all about not roughing it if you don't have to! Thanks for sharing all of the pics. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun.

Hubers said...

So fun! Glad to see some pics of the glorious event.

MadMadameMim said...

Tiff - our camp was just on a camp level.

I'm so glad that everyone enjoyed the wet suit pics so much.

MadMadameMim said...

did I say camp level? yes, that makes perfect sense. Of course I meant ward level :).

Perkins said...

What awesome leaders you all are. My favorite picture is you in the dry suit.

Unknown said...

Yeah so much fun!!! I can't belivie you put pictures of me in there!! oh well! Girl's Camp was great and I'm sad I turn 18 soon so I can't go!! :(