Saturday, March 20, 2010

Our fun chat with the Fireman :), YEP!

It is funny how having to be grateful for not losing something you never wanted makes you feel more grateful than you could have imagined. Cause if you think it's painful to pay for something you really want and can't have (a beautiful home), just imagine paying for something you never wanted (a crappy apartment) and can't have, cause you burnt it down!
Oh, I'm laughing to much inside to make this sound funny to anyone else.
But trust me it is funny, or at least it is now, and mostly cause I'm not that torn up about possibly losing the grill.
So you want to hear why we are scrounging in the fridge looking for possible tasty, or at least not questionable leftovers, instead of eating the ribs (now char broiled) we bought at the famed Yokes Fresh Friday sale? You know you do! Cause you do. Trust me.
So instead of going out this weekend we thought we'd stay in, have some good food, watch a movie or two, relax - which by the way does not include a balcony fire, yeah not typically anyway.
So we made the kids mac and cheese, Mithrandir threw the ribs on the grill. And we gathered round the table for the typically remind-the-kids-between-every-bite-to-continue-putting-food-into-their-mouths routine.
We were interrupted by a banging on the door, which never happens, cause we don't know people in our apartment, and no one comes to visit us, or really knows where we live.
So Mithrandir opens the door to our somewhat frantic neighbor telling us our grill is on fire.
What?!
So of course we're thinking like a few little flames from a little grease or something.
Yeah, it was a bit more than that.
There were flames jumping out of the grill on all sides. For a second we both just looked at it. Dir had the good sense to reach down and turn the gas off. Good one. He even had the sense to get a hot pad to do it with. I couldn't think what to do.
Oh yeah, water! So I grabbed a pot and got some water. That helped enough to get the ribs off so they wouldn't keep feeding the flames. Which was smart.
Some more water and it was all out.
We were really grateful for our neighbors who noticed it before the giant flames started licking the overhang roof about the grill and the whole building caught on fire.
So can't you see how we have so many things to be thankful for? I can!
Just when we thought the fun was over and we're getting the very excited children settled back at the table to finish their very cold food we heard a short siren. I joking said "someone didn't get their BBQ fire put out on time and had to call the fire department. Aren't we glad we did!"
Then we heard a loud breaking sound right outside our patio. So we went to check it out.
Yep there were the firemen, wanting to know if our grill had been on fire. We had a little chat with them and all was well, but it was funny!
And luckily that is all that it is, funny. Possibly the grill is shot, but really things could have been so much worse!
So here's to freak accidents that can be horrible and aren't!
It seems to be the current theme of our lives - "Just be grateful things aren't worse, cause they so easily could be!" ;)
I hope you all had an exciting weekend, with no fires.

7 comments:

Annalee Kelly said...

Soooo, I'm just wondering what you and hubby ate for dinner if the ribs were out of the question. Cold mac'n'cheese? :)

Hubers said...

Wow. You guys are so lucky. We had a fire in our kitchen a couple of weeks ago as well. Must be that time of year.:) I'm glad everyone is okay.

crack'n up ourselves said...

OH that was too funny! I am glad that you didn't burn the building down!

Ren said...

Um...why couldn't this have happened while you were on Alayssa? So much excitement that we missed out on! :) It just seems to follow you wherever you go! Guess we know what Billy will be getting for Fathers Day this year...a new grill maybe? :)

Brittney said...

Holy Cats! Why on earth did the ribs catch on fire? It's not like you've never used your grill before! I love that you are the crazy neighbors with the thumping washing machine and balcony fires... spread the joy of crazy around! That is so hilarious- I can't believe you had a fire!

MadMadameMim said...

Annalee- I did in fact eat some cold mac and cheese, but only a little. There was some garlic bread and corn, but mostly ice cream. Cause after the fire we were being all rebellious like that.

Sum - for some reason your kitchen fire wasn't exciting enough to share?

Ren - Billy is convinced no one would have seen the fire if we were still on Alayssa, I assured him the Cambells would be watching :)

Bird - I can totally see you laughing at me being the crazy neighbors. Thanks for that, cause a laugh makes everything better right now.

Kristine said...

Wow, I missed this post somehow! I had to laugh thinking of you not knowing what to do and Billy just taking action. Exactly how it would have been for us. And I had to laugh that Campbells would be watching.
Anyway, yes you are due for a picture. Sorry to hear you are feeling crappy. Only a few more weeks, right? And then it really begins! :) Hope things start looking up for you!